BCC AVX [Avid] - 10.0.2 Release Notes
29 July 2016
Boris Continuum Complete AVX 10.0.2 Release Notes
BCC AVX 10.0.2 was released on 7/29/2016 and is an update to:
Enhancements in BCC AVX 10.0.2:
- General Enhancements:
- Support for Avid's separate Filter vs. Transition palettes in Media Composer 8.5+ which allows a cleaner list of available transitions.
- FX Browser - faster playback speed and faster RAM buffering.
- Large performance boost on QuadroFX cards in 16bit projects for OGL filters such as Lens Flare 3D.
- Numerous bug fixes.
- Filter Enhancements:
- Witness Protection - simplified mocha tracking workflow with single click access to mocha for easy obscuration of multiple moving objects in a single effect instance.
- Reframer - New Resample Quality menu to ensure access to highest quality resampling techniques when upscaling content by large amounts.
- Extruded Spline, Extruded EPS, and Layer Deformer - 10% performance optimization.
- Video Glitch - 24 new presets.
- PixelChooser/mocha Enhancements:
- mocha PixelChooser supports GPU accelerated tracking (OpenCL).
- mocha PixelChooser now supports Avid's background rendering system.
- mocha PixelChooser option to suppress the Low Resolution Warning Dialog until the next time the application is relaunched.
- PixelChooser Matte Pre-Smoothing using OpenCL accelerated advanced edge-preserving smoothing routine which minimizes noise in a matte without over-softening critical image features.
- Title Studio Enhancements:
- Soft Cast Shadows
- Depth of Field
- Many new and improved presets
- New Gradient styles
- New Material styles
- New Text styles
- The timeline UI has an improved look
- Numerous UI workflow refinements.
- Installer now includes many pre-configured workspace layouts under the Window->Workspace menu.
- New contextual control command in the timeline track to rescale all nested track's keyframes to align with the parent track.
- Scale Anchor Point control
- Support for importing Title Studio .blu files into existing Title Studio compositions to allow easily repurposing project sub-elements.
- Gradients styles can now be applied to splines, primitives, and text runs.
- Infinite groundplane regardless of scale or zoom.
- Wireframe camera instead of solid camera icon.
What's New in BCC AVX 10 (Summary of major changes since BCC9):
- mocha planar tracking integrated directly into the PixelChooser.
- 8 new effects:
- Beauty Studio
- Dropout Fixer
- Fast Lens Blur
- Light Leaks
- Title Studio
- Video Glitch
- 5 new transitions:
- Cross Glitch
- Cross Melt
- Cross Zoom
- Lens Blur Dissolve
- Light Leaks Dissolve
- PixelChooser re-engineered for streamlined UI, enhanced shape masking, and robust color keying (in addition to mocha spline tracking).
- Greater use of OpenCL and OpenGL for GPU acceleration in filters such as Beauty Studio, Title Studio, Fast Lens Blur, Lens Blur Dissolve, and many more.
- New OpenCL rendering engine for enhanced performance and robustness in OpenCL accelerated filters.
- FX Browser™ support in 3D Objects family of effects.
- Change text fields directly from FX Browser™ in 3D objects filters.
- Fast Film Glow:
- Render quality improvements - particularly on alpha clips.
- Additional standard features such as Compare Mode, PixelChooser with mocha, and Beat Reactor.
- 2x performance improvement in interlaced AVX projects.
- Fast Film Process:
- Improved OpenCL rendering.
- Additional standard features such as Compare Mode and PixelChooser with mocha.
- New textures in BCC Grunge.
- Advanced Optical Flow option in BCC Motion Blur.
- Added View Current Matte feature to Chroma Key Studio.
- New presets for many key filters such as Fast Film Process, Fast Film Glow, Grunge, Glare, Glint, and Glitter.
- Streamlined effect categories with deprecated filters moved to Obsolete category.
- Enhanced 4K support in Open GL filters. All filters work seemlessly in 4K with no need to set the 4K Buffers preference setting.
- Smaller installers for faster downloads and reduced installation footprint.
- Direct online documentation is now used in place of local doc files to ensure access to latest revisions.
- BCC Prism - Improved default settings generating a smooth Chromatic Aberration look.
- BCC Glare - Improved default settings generating a more typical glare look.
- 3D Objects Category - New Constant Scale option allowing greater control over bevels as Extrusion Depth changes.
- BCC Witness Protection - Now includes PixelChooser with mocha tracking. Mocha support enables obscuring multiple separate faces/logos in a single effect instance with highly robust tracking.
- Numerous bug fixes.
BCC AVX 10 supports the following Avid host applications:
- Avid Media Composer 6.5, 7, and 8.x running Macintosh OS™ X 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11.
- Avid Symphony 6.5, 7, and 8.x running Macintosh OS™ X 10.8, 10.9, 10.0, and 10.11.
- Avid Media Composer Media Composer 6.5, 7, and 8.x running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10.
- Avid Symphony 6.5, 7, and 8.x running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10.
- Avid NewsCutter running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10.
Numerous resources are available for helping you get the most out of Boris Continuum Complete.
- Help documents for individual BCC effects are accessible directly from each plug-in’s UI. The entire BCC Help Documention library is also available on the BorisFX website, including access to a downloadable version for browsing offline BCC Help Documentation.
BorisTV video tutorials cover a huge range of topics from introductions to the Fundamentals, to deep training Webinar Replays, to in-depth looks at key effects and techniques.
BCC AVX 10.x Compatibility Notes:
While in general your previously saved projects should render identically in the newer version, bug fixes and quality improvements can sometimes change the look of older projects. While every effort is made to ensure project compatibility, the following notable areas may see some change to the look of previously saved projects.
- Render quality improvements in Fast Film Glow when applied to alpha clips may result in some changes to glow brightness and/or extent.
- Render quality improvements with Extrusion Styles in 3D Objects filters may result in changes to the extrusion thickness.
- Rays Dissolve - a fix to the Region Animation rotation control will cause the region size to appear slightly larger when opening saved projects which used the Region Animation option.
BCC AVX 10.0.2 - Known Issues and Limitations:
- Combining 3D Objects filters with other OpenGL accelerated BCC filters such as Lens Flare 3D or Grunge requires at least 2GB graphics card memory for HD projects and higher for 4K. 
PixelChooser - shape feathering option is not implemented in OpenGL filters. 
- mocha PixelChooser - mocha track data is not saved with presets. To clone mocha tracking data from one effect instance or machine or host to another, you can use the File->Export Project and File->Merge Project options from within the mocha UI. 
- mocha PixelChooser - tracking data does not adjust if the user changes the clip trim on the front end of the clip after tracking. The clip will need to be re-tracked if the trim is changed on the front. You can minimize the amount of re-tracking by re-aligning the contours within the mocha UI with the Ubey-key, offsetting the contour to re-align it, and then re-tracking the remainder as necessary. 
- PixelChooser - Circle and Egg Shape can show stretched shapes or feathering when in interlaced projects and set to Speed Optimized. As a workaround you can change the Fields menu in the General Controls group to Quality Optimized. 
PixelChooser - Circle and Egg Shape modes render incorrectly in OpenGL filters on Avid. 
PixelChooser- feathering always uses a mirror-edge treatment which can cause masks near the edge of the screen to extend instead of fading. 
- Geometrics drop shadow option in OpenGL filters can produce unexpected colors. 
- Optical Stabilizer, inserting a transition at the head of the stabilized clip makes it lose stabilization & the filter has to be re-analyzed. 
- Title Studio Plugin Mac - Menu Bar doesn't update back when toggling apps until you cancel or apply from Title Studio UI. 
- BCC Motion Blur now includes an Advanced optical flow option which uses OpenCL hardware assisted rendering to implement a more sophisticated (and more computationally intensive) motion vector analysis. The performance of the Advance mode varies widely from one graphics card to another and if you see reduced performance or unexpected results when using the Advanced option it is recommended that you switch to the Simple mode on that card. [706 + 1094]
- mocha PixelChooser - export to BCC motion tracker formats requires the host application be set to full resolution for the exported track data to be correctly scaled. 
- Title Studio - The Frame Cache is not automatically Purged when you manually change the PAR (pixel aspect ratio).