NEW IN CONTINUUM 2021.5, the BCC+ Vignette filter generates a popular photographic effect where the photo gradually fades into the background, usually in a circular or rectangular shape. The vignette can be any color as well as thrown out of focus.
Presets and the FX Editor
To select from a selection of factory installed and user-generated presets, open the FX Editor interface and pick one from the Presets window.
Color: The Color parameter sets the color of the vignette through the use of a standard color picker. The default color is black.
Opacity: Sets the opacity of the colored vignette. For defocused vignettes, you may want to turn down the Opacity so you can see the defocused effect.
Blur: Sets the softness of the image in the area of the vignette.
Roundness: Sets the roundness of the vignette. The vignette can either be circular or square or anywhere in between.
Size: Sets the size of the vignette.
Changes the aspect ratio of the vignette. A value of -100 would be wider, and 100 would be taller.
Rotation: Rotates the vignette.
Distortion: Distorts the edge of the vignette.
Distortion Size: Sets the size of the distortion.
Randomize: Randomizes the distortion.
Softness: The Softness parameters control the softness of the vignette edge.
PixelChooser: The BCC PixelChooser provides simple, built-in masking of the effect result. The PixelChooser is generally used to select a portion of the image and restrict an effect to just the selected area while maintaining the original image content in unselected regions. The selection can be based on geometric shapes or on the image’s luma/color properties.
For more information on the PixelChooser, Click Here.
Working with The Filter
- Apply BCC+ Vignette from the BCC Lens unit category.
- Click the BCC FX Editor button from the Effects and Presets banner. The FX Editor user interface opens and consists of Presets, Parameters and Viewer windows.
- Try out some of the presets.
- Adjust the Shape > Roundness to make the vignette either circular or rectangular and use Shape > Softness to control the softness of the vignette’s edge.
- To give the vignette’s edge a random shape, use the Distortion, Distortion Size and Randomize controls.
- Set the Vignette > Color and Opacity.The vignette can be either colored or defocused or a combination of the two.
- Turn down the Vignette > Opacity if you would like to see only a blurred vignette.
- Turn up the Vignette > Horizontal and Vertical Blur to your liking.
- Click the Apply button to return to the host application.