NEW IN CONTINUUM 2021.5, the BCC+ Vignette filter generates a popular photographic effect where the photo gradually fades into the background, usually in a circular or rectangular shape. The vignette can be any color as well as thrown out of focus.
Presets and the FX Editor
To select from a selection of factory installed and user-generated presets, open the FX Editor interface and pick one from the Presets window.
Color: The Color parameter sets the color of the vignette through the use of a standard color picker. The default color is black.
Opacity: Sets the opacity of the colored vignette. For defocused vignettes, you may want to turn down the Opacity so you can see the defocused effect.
Blur: Sets the softness of the image in the area of the vignette.
Roundness: Sets the roundness of the vignette. The vignette can either be circular or square or anywhere in between.
Size: Sets the size of the vignette.
Changes the aspect ratio of the vignette. A value of -100 would be wider, and 100 would be taller.
Rotation: Rotates the vignette.
Distortion: Distorts the edge of the vignette.
Distortion Size: Sets the size of the distortion.
Randomize: Randomizes the distortion.
Softness: The Softness parameters control the softness of the vignette edge.
Working with The Filter
- Apply BCC+ Vignette from the BCC Lens unit category.
- Click the BCC FX Editor button from the Effects and Presets banner. The FX Editor user interface opens and consists of Presets, Parameters and Viewer windows.
- Try out some of the presets.
- Adjust the Shape > Roundness to make the vignette either circular or rectangular and use Shape > Softness to control the softness of the vignette’s edge.
- To give the vignette’s edge a random shape, use the Distortion, Distortion Size and Randomize controls.
- Set the Vignette > Color and Opacity.The vignette can be either colored or defocused or a combination of the two.
- Turn down the Vignette > Opacity if you would like to see only a blurred vignette.
- Turn up the Vignette > Horizontal and Vertical Blur to your liking.
- Click the Apply button to return to the host application.