Continuum 2021.5 (v14.5.0) for OFX - Release Notes
What’s New in Continuum 2021.5 for OFX - OpenFX (Summary of major changes since Continuum 2021):
9 New Fully GPU Accelerated BCC+ Effects:
- Blend a pair of clips with extensive controls over compositing details such as color correction, blur, film grain, motion blur, edge composite control, and an integrated drop shadow
- BCC+Film Grunge
- Hardware accelerated Film Grunge filter to add aged-film effects to video source clips.
- Simulate “Flashing” techniques from film development/printing processes with highlight and shadow adjustments for brightness and tint.
- Adjust color to remove green cast from shooting with fluorescent lighting
- 4-way color correction filter offers independent exposure control across multiple regions of the filtered source shot.
- Improve color and clarity with haze removal filtering.
- Generates multi-point star patterns based on luma values in the source shot.
- BCC+Two Strip
- Sister filter to the BCC+ Three Strip for variations on vintage film looks.
- Full featured vignette generator with independent controls for setting the color and true variable blurs along with unique options for edge distortion.
Particle Illusion Enhancements:
- Node View
- See a graphical node representation of complex emitter stacks and quickly view just the parameters desired for a particular element.
- UI performance cache
- Particle caching allows instant scrubbing backward and forward inside the PI UI for any frame you’ve already calculated.
- 3D Emission Controls
- Control 3D emission angles for all emitters
- 3D Basic Shape Emitter
- Emit from 3D Planes, Spheres, and Cuboids
- 3D Force and Deflectors
- Forces and Deflectors have been extended to work in true 3D space
- Graph View Redesign
- Zoom + Pan in the graph view for precise editing of keyframes even on long timelines
- Improved graph editing interface
- New “Emitters_2021.5” Emitter Library
- Other PI Enhancements
- Add “Uniform Spacing” option for non-randomized particle birth location
- Turbulence Auto-Evolve Speed - larger max range
- Performance improvements rendering in host for some projects
- “Number of Each Color” - larger max range
- When no Favorites are present but filtering is set to show Favorites, show explanatory message
- Numerous UI tweaks
BCC+ Improved Alpha Support:
- Many BCC+ lighting filters now support improved integration with alpha clips including BCC+ Rays, BCC+ Streaks, BCC+ Lens Flare, BCC+ Glow, BCC+ Glow Edges, BCC+ Ice Halos, and BCC+ Multi-Star. These filters now allow generated lights to expand into transparent regions.
- The FX Editor now supports working with alpha clips, allowing you to view how presets will affect your alpha footage. Use SHIFT+A to toggle alpha preview on/off.
Other Fixes and Polish in Continuum 2021.5 for OFX:
- BCC+ - FX Editor - deleting custom presets did not in fact fully delete them
- BCC+Light - Displacement param shifted image while mouse down
- BCC+ - GPU errors (falling back to CPU) with some OS/GPU/Driver combinations
- BCC+ - Improved diagnostic logging
- BCC+Film Stocks should not comp vignette alpha
- Licensing - Improved license logging and license robustness
- Title studio - .blu files do not open automatically in Title Studio when double clicked, or when using the “open with” command
- Title Studio - Info Window - X/Y position displays inaccurate pointer location
- Particle Illusion - Discontinuity in emission points at time 0 for particles using preload.
- Particle Illusion - Reset Camera doesn’t do anything
- Particle Illusion - Lines elements not drawn with motion blur
- Particle Illusion - When inside PI UI, post warning to user if they try to load a project created with a later version of the PI
- Particle Illusion - Incorrect position of new points in line emitter as count grows higher
- Particle Illusion - Deflectors crash after adding more than 24 points
- Particle Illusion - Windows - Missing top window bar to minimize or maximize when reopened on secondary monitor
- Particle Illusion - Render dialog “Full” doesn’t use full project duration
- Particle Illusion - Emitters that don’t start at frame 0 are wrong when added to library
- Particle Illusion - If you Rename a library emitter but hit “cancel” the “rename” dialog never repopulates with the current name
- Particle Illusion - Update some Fireworks emitters libraries to work better with alternate frame rates
- Particle Illusion - Line emitters drawn wrong in HUD when emitter is rotated
- Particle Illusion - Key navigation buttons do not initialize correctly for “over life” graphs
- Particle Illusion - Emitter with “Single Particle” causes deflector “break particles” to hang or add very long delays
- Particle Illusion - “Angle” parameters do not show y-axis values in graph view
- Particle Illusion - Point Force minimum radius can go larger than radius
- Particle Illusion - Improved Point Force radius mouse detection
- Particle Illusion - Reduce CPU/GPU usage when idle
- Particle Illusion - Preview will use motion blur at startup if project MB is turned on, regardless of preview MB setting
- Particle Illusion - Unexpected animation curves in graph editor
- Particle Illusion - Creating position keys can result in strange Bezier handle behavior in Stage
- Particle Illusion - Improved mouse click handling on numeric entry fields.
- Particle Illusion - Line emitters do not match HUD after 3D rotation
- Particle Illusion - Position Turbulence artifacts (gaps or “stair-stepping”) when “Pos Turbulence Over Life” is animated
- Particle Illusion - Darken grid color for better HUD contrast
Continuum 2021.5 (v14.5.0) (BCC 14.5.0) for OFX was released on 6/21/2021.
Continuum 2021.5 (v14.5.0) for OFX (OpenFX) officially supports the following host applications:
Note that Continuum OFX may work to varying degrees in other OFX hosts, but at this time it is only officially supported in Resolve, Vegas Pro, and Nuke. Note that official Resolve support does not yet include the embedded Fusion page within Resolve. Note that the Apple App Store version of Resolve is not fully supported and direct downloads of Resolve from the Blackmagic Design site should be used instead.
macOS 10.13, 10.14, 10.15, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4 (as appropriate for the host version in use): (Intel chipsets only. M1 / ARM chipsets are not supported in this version.) [Up to host versions released at time of Continuum release]:
- DaVinci Resolve Studio and DaVinci Resolve 15.x, 16.x, 17.x
- Nuke 12, 13
Windows 10 x64 [Up to host versions released at time of Continuum release]:
- DaVinci Resolve Studio and DaVinci Resolve 15.x, 16.x, 17.x
- 15, 16, 17, 18 (Magix)
- Nuke 12, 13 (4k monitor support on windows requires Nuke 12.1 or higher)
Numerous resources are available for helping you get the most out of Boris Continuum Complete.
- Help documents for individual BCC effects are accessible directly from each plug-in’s UI. The entire BCC Help Documentation library is also available on the BorisFX website, including access to a downloadable version for browsing Offline BCC Help Documentation.
- BorisTV video tutorials cover a huge range of topics from introductions to the Fundamentals, to deep training Webinar Replays, to in-depth looks at key effects and techniques.
Continuum 2021.5 (v14.5.0) for OFX - Compatibility Notes:
While in general your previously saved projects should render identically in the newer version, bug fixes and quality improvements can sometimes change the look of older projects. While every effort is made to ensure project compatibility, the following notable areas may see some change to the look of previously saved projects.
- Due to UI optimization and expanded 3D support, some Particle Illusion projects may show shifts in some particle properties (although the look and feel should remain the same).
- As part of improving alpha support for many filters in the BCC+ Lights category (e.g. BCC+Rays, BCC+Glow, BCC+Lens Flare, and BCC+Streaks) the lighting will now by default expand into regions of zero or low alpha. While this is generally the desired result, it can change the look of saved projects with these filters applied to alpha clips, so if necessary the you can dial back the alpha channel expansion by reducing the Affect Alpha parameter.
Continuum 2021.5 (v14.5.0) for OFX - Known Issues and Limitations:
- CO-5788 - Particle Illusion - custom GUI scroll bars do not react to Wacom tablet clicks.
- CO-8221 - Particle Illusion - Broken particles occasionally falling through deflector
- CO-8326 - The FX Editor window does not block access to the host UI while it is up which can lead to stability problems if you make adjustments in the host while the FX Editor is still open.
- CO-8678 - Particle Illusion - Layer widget disappears and particles do not render on stage for some high resolution projects at 5k+
- CO-8847 - Mac Installer Registration Dialog fails the installer if certain unicode characters were entered on a previous installer run
- CO-9034 - Particle Illusion - Unexpected render differences in some projects between current and previous version
- CO-9208 - Particle Illusion - Center position Widget for line emitter not refreshing on non-0th frame correctly
- CO-9281 - Particle Illusion - Some UI element manipulations can be slower to refresh than expected
- CO-9274 - Particle Illusion - 3D HUD box can display as distorted for some settings
- CO-9270 - Particle Illusion - phantom camera controls can appear after converting project from 2d to 3d
- CO-9219 - Particle Illusion - Make Super Emitter does not apply Position Turbulence and Size Turbulence correctly
- CO-9220 - Particle Illusion - Delete and Undo commands do not always execute when expected
- CO-9290 - Licensing - Occasionally the license activation tool does not pop up automatically after installation on Mac. Re-running the installer should pop up the tool on the next run.
- CO-9176 - 3D rotation of line emitters particles do not match HUD
- CO-9244 - On some macOS/Resolve version combinations, the 3D Objects filters can hang Resolve when applied.