Continuum 2019 for Avid AVX v12.0.0 - Release Notes
What’s New in Continuum 2019 for Avid AVX (Summary of major changes since Continuum 11):
- The legendary Particle Illusion engine is now directly integrated into Continuum as a new plugin in the Particles category.
- Easy-to-use OpenGL-based 2D particle system
- Template-driven workflow, with over 2000 templates covering classic particle effects plus creative and abstract effects.
- Plugin integration in latest versions of AE, Premiere, Avid, Resolve, and Vegas hosts.
- Full Particle Illusion UI available directly from the plugin with custom UI for template selection, parameter adjustment, and keyframing.
- 64 bit app with support for latest operating systems
- Modern UI
- Hi-DPI/Retina monitor support
- Floating point rendering precision and HDR support
- Enhanced emitter library search function
- Reorganized and curated emitter libraries
- No limit on number of loaded emitter libraries
- Continuum preset/FX Browser support for reviewing/exchanging/loading PI settings at the PI project level (as opposed to the emitter library template level). Supports seamless exchange of settings between different hosts and operating systems.
- Native UI transforms for easy animation via native keyframes or expressions (including accurate combined World+Emitter animation).
- Mocha Motion Tracker integration for easy tracking of camera or emitter motion (including accurate combined World+Emitter tracking).
- Mocha PixelChooser integration for easy mask tracking.
- Image Processing Shaders - Add super fast GPU accelerated effects such as Light Rays, Blur, Glow, Spiral Blur, Prism Blur, Light Sweep, or Gradients directly inside the Title Studio UI for richly featured yet quick rendering text templates. Check out the presets in Title Studio’s Image Processors group for examples of what can be achieved.
- Grids and Guides - Align text with ease and accuracy using new adjustable grid and guide overlays.
- 8K+ support - All 3D Objects filters now support resolutions up to 8K by default with the option to go even higher on capable GPUs.
- On-Screen Text Tool - Edit text directly in the Composition pane of the Title Studio UI by selecting the Text Tool “T” interactor.
- On-Screen Text Box - Adjust text position and scale directly on screen via the new on-screen text box. This eliminates the need to use the control panel for these adjustments and makes tweaking text position and scaling faster and more accurate.
- Faster playback - Playback of timelines inside the Title Studio UI are now much faster.
- Improved Material Style Pallet - Improved browsing plus 400+ new/improved material styles.
- New Custom Textures - 160+ new/improved custom textures.
- Updated UI Look and Feel
- Hundreds of new presets
- New Parameter-driven Mocha Motion Tracker Module - You can now use the power of Mocha’s planar tracking engine to drive point picker parameters directly within Continuum. There are now two ways to launch Mocha in Continuum filters. If you use the Mocha / Mask Track button in the PixelChooser you will find the same masking integration you are familiar with from previous versions of Continuum. But if you use the Mocha Motion Tracker button inside the “Motion Tracker / Mocha” group you will get a view optimized for extracting geometric data such as position as opposed to masks. This allows you to drive point locations such as lens flares or particle emitters powered by the same Mocha planar tracking engine under the hood.
- Mocha Essentials UI - Mocha now offers a set of UI workspace options to let you choose the UI experience that best suits the task at hand. It opens up by default in the new Essentials mode which presents a simpler UI layout - perfect for standard tracking tasks. The original Mocha UI with all the bells and whistles is still available by choosing the Classic workspace from the menu on the top along with Roto and Big Picture workspaces.
- Mocha Magnetic and Freehand Drawing Tools - New Magnetic spline tools will automatically snap to contours in the image making it vastly quicker to roto complex objects. The new Freehand drawing tools also allow freehand tracing of masks for quick loose masking.
- Mocha Primitive Shape Tools - New Circular and Rectangular tools for simple creation of primitive shape masks.
- Mocha UI Enhancements - Full support for High DPI monitors on windows and improved Retina support on Mac along with numerous additional UI enhancements.
External Broadcast Reference Monitor Support Mirror Title Studio and FX Browser UI previews directly to broadcast reference monitors.
Cleaner Parameter Layout
Simplified UI layout with hidden legacy parameter groups.
Simplified Avid Effect Lists
This main effect lists in Avid are now sleeker and less cluttered since, with the introduction of the new Mocha-based parameter tracker, most of the non-realtime Blue Dot filter variants are no longer necessary and have been moved to the Obsolete folder.
Numerous other tweaks and fixes
Continuum 2019 v12.0.0 (BCC 12.0.0) for Avid AVX was released on 11/13/2018.
Continuum 2019 v12.0.0 for Avid AVX supports the following host applications:
- Avid Media Composer 6.5, 7, 8.x, 2018.x running macOSX 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14 (as appropriate for the host version in use):
- Avid Symphony 6.5, 7, and 8.x running macOSX 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14 (as appropriate for the host version in use):
- Avid Media Composer Media Composer 6.5, 7, 8.x, 2018.x running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10 (as appropriate for the host version in use).
- Avid Symphony 6.5, 7, and 8.x running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10 (as appropriate for the host version in use).
- Avid NewsCutter running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise (64-bit), and Windows 10 (as appropriate for the host version in use).
Numerous resources are available for helping you get the most out of Boris Continuum Complete.
- Help documents for individual BCC effects are accessible directly from each plug-in’s UI. The entire BCC Help Documention library is also available on the BorisFX website, including access to a downloadable version for browsing Offline BCC Help Documentation.
- BorisTV video tutorials cover a huge range of topics from introductions to the Fundamentals, to deep training Webinar Replays, to in-depth looks at key effects and techniques.
Continuum 2019 for AVX - Avid 12.x Compatibility Notes:
While in general your previously saved projects should render identically in the newer version, bug fixes and quality improvements can sometimes change the look of older projects. While every effort is made to ensure project compatibility, the following notable areas may see some change to the look of previously saved projects.
- Title Studio - Ambient light fixes may cause saved projects to render brighter in the new version requiring possible tweaks to the light intensity.
- 3D Objects - Texture scaling improvements may cause some textures to be stretched/sized differently in the new version.
- OpenGL blur quality enhancements may slightly change perceived blur amount in some filter elements.
- Prism - Fixes to alpha / premultiplication handling will produce different results in intermediate alpha regions.
- Particle Illusion emitter libraries saved in PI3 are fully supported in the new Continuum Particle Illusion (with some exceptions noted below), but PI3 project files are NOT supported in the new Particle Illusion.
- Older plugin versions of Particle Illusion (V3 or earlier) are completely distinct from the new Continuum Particle Illusion and those older plugin projects will not migrate to this new plugin. However, you should be able to leave those older plugin versions installed on your system alongside the newer Continuum Particle Illusion.
- Not all features of the older Particle Illusion (V3 or earlier) are fully supported in the initial release of the new Continuum Particle Illusion. This may affect the ability to fully use some older emitter libraries or to perform some actions supported in the older Particle Illusion. Future updates to Continuum Particle Illusion will restore many of these features over time:
- Editing emitter properties (other than the already exposed properties of applied emitters)
- Rendering/exporting videos from the standalone Particle Illusion UI. Rendering is only supported via the plugin’s host timeline at this point.
- Saving new or modified emitters back to a library.
- Updating emitter library thumbnails
- Particles which take their color from host image data
- Blockers, Deflectors, and Forces
- Record Position feature - i.e. recording mouse movements for conversion to position keyframes.
- Stage view widgets for Layer and Emitter angle
Continuum 2019 for AVX - Avid 12.0.0 - Known Issues and Limitations:
- mocha PixelChooser - mocha track data is not saved with presets. To clone mocha tracking data from one effect instance or machine or host to another, you can use the File->Export Project and File->Merge Project options from within the mocha UI or you can copy/paste track data from the clipboard when moving from one mocha UI instance to another. [CO-4250]
- Custom UI views such as the Title Studio UI, FX Browser, License Dialog, or Preferences Dialog don’t adapt to High-DPI displays on windows which can cause some fonts to render too small and be difficult to read. [CO-3269]
- Particle Illusion - render speeds are reduced when applied to long clips. [CO-5399]
- Particle Illusion - It can be slow to launch the PI UI when you have the full extended set of emitter libraries installed on systems without SSD drives. [CO-5167]
- Particle Illusion - Slower than expected refresh when jumping forward in the PI UI the first time through the timeline after the UI is launched. [CO-5674]
- Particle Illusion - Emitter Offset applies only to sub-parts of some emitters on the very first frame. [CO-5578]
- Particle Illusion - Mocha tracking data is not reflected in PI’s UI in all cases although it does display the proper position back in the host timeline. [CO-5660]
- Particle Illusion - Opening large projects (large numbers of emitters or emitters with large texture sprites) can cause “Error: -1” messages and failures launching the PI UI. [CO-5670]
- Particle Illusion - The Mocha Motion Tracking UI defaults to the “World Center” point being selected even if “Emitter Offset” is selected back in the PI params. [CO-5669]
- Mocha Motion Tracker - For filters with multiple tracker points, moving the surface/search areas for the second of tracker points causes the other surface to move as well. Re-clicking on one track and then the other in the layer view will reset the selection to just the single track. [CO-5589]
- Mocha Motion Tracker - For filters with multiple tracker points the layer pane controls for hiding/processing each separate layer track does not respond to mouse clicks for all the the tracks. As a workaround you can reorder the tracks to access the visibility/process controls as needed. [CO-5570]
- Title Studio - moving UI between displays on mixed resolution set up on Mac causes UI issues. [CO-5215]
- Loading older presets in some hosts causes the Render Legacy Tracker button to be incorrectly enabled which disables the new Mocha Motion Tracker. After loading an older preset you may need to disable the Render Legacy Tracker button in order to use the newer Mocha tracker. [CO-5556]
- Mocha Motion Tracker - Tracking backwards for point parameter data doesn’t work unless you first touch the point UI widget in the Mocha UI before initiating the backwards tracking [CO-5492]