Welcome to Boris Continuum Complete (BCC) - the world's most comprehensive visual effects plug-in collection. BCC contains over two hundred effects spanning 17 effects categories including plug-ins for 3D text, chroma keying, image restoration, glows, lens flares, volumetric lighting, transitions, and much more. For a full introduction to BCC for Final Cut Pro and Motion including video highlights, filter galleries, and a wealth of online tutorials please visit /products/continuum/.
Boris Continuum Complete FxPlug 9.0.2 for Apple's Final Cut Pro X and Motion was released on 9/15/2014.
BCC 9 FxPlug for FCP X and Motion - Supported Host Environments:
Mac OSX 10.9:
- Final Cut Pro X 10.1
- Motion 5.1
Note that BCC9 requires Final Cut Pro 10.1 and Motion 5.1 (or higher) which in turn require Mac OS 10.9 (or higher). If you need BCC for older versions of Final Cut Pro or Motion please consult the BorisFX website or contact BorisFX sales.
What's New in BCC 9 for FCP + Motion (Recap of major changes since BCC 8):
- 9 new effects and 24 new/redesigned transitions:
|2-Strip Color||Laser Beam||Pan & Zoom - now 3D|
|Chroma Key Studio 2||Lens Correction||Uprez|
|Edge Grunge||Magic Sharp||Vignette|
|Blobs Wipe||Lens Distortion Wipe||Rings Wipe|
|Blur Dissolve||Lens Flare Dissolve||Ripple Dissolve|
|Checker Wipe||Lens Flare Round||Tile Wipe|
|Composite Dissolve||Lens Flare Spiked||Tritone Dissolve|
|Damaged TV Dissolve||Lens Flash||Twister|
|Film Glow Dissolve||Light Wipe||Vector Blur Dissolve|
|Flutter Cut||Rays Dissolve||Vignette Wipe|
|Grid Wipe||Ribbon Wipe||Water Waves Dissolve|
- Pan and Zoom enhancements:
- 3D moves
- Improved action/title safe guides
- New HTML-based help system offering richer and more dynamic learning guides.
- Improved 4K rendering support in OpenGL accelerated filters.
- Native float rendering support for effects in the 3D Objects category.
- Hardware antialiasing for enhanced edge quality in the 3D Objects category.
- Major performance improvements in some OpenGL filters such as Damanged TV, Scanlines, and Glint.
- New Gradient feature in many BCC Wipe transitions.
- Integrated Beat Reactor added to Stage Light.
- Composite On Source and Gamma Adjustment added to Stage Light.
- Built in Motion Blur added to Corner Pin.
- Tracker Time Offset added to Corner Pin.
- Colored Background option added to Swish Pan.
- Brightness Peak and Control Peak added to Lens Transition.
- New presets added across a wide range of effects.
- Numerous bug fixes.
If you are new to working with BCC in FCP X or Motion 5 (and even if you are not) we recommend you review our Working in Final Cut Pro and Motion page for important tips on gettings started with BCC in these hosts.
Numerous resources are available for helping you get the most out of Boris Continuum Complete.
- Help documents for individual BCC effects are accessible directly from each plug-in’s UI. The entire BCC Help Documention library is also available on the BorisFX website, including access to a downloadable version for browsing offline BCC Help Documentation.
- BorisTV video tutorials cover a huge range of topics from introductions to the Fundamentals, to deep training Webinar Replays, to in-depth looks at key effects and techniques.
BCC 9.x FxPlug Compatibility Notes :
While in general your previously saved projects should render identically in the newer version, bug fixes and quality improvements can sometimes change the look of older projects. While every effort is made to ensure project compatibility, the following notable areas may see some change to the look of previously saved projects.
- In all wipe-style transitions which contain Border options, the opacity of the border elements fades automatically at the start/end of transitions (except in manual mode) to fix potential jumps in the renders at the start and end of the transitions even when border offsets were non-zero.
- The largely unnecessary Hold In / Hold Out parameters were removed from the Animation Tuning group in all transitions which could cause changes in the transition timing in the unlikely event these parameters had been changed from their defaults.
- As part of the major performance optimizations implemented in Damaged TV for BCC9, some details can such as the randomization patterns can render differently although the overall feel of the effect should remain the same.
- BCC9 fixes a bug introduced in BCC8.2 that affected the perceived rate of progress of the underlying dissolve in BCC Lens Transition. Projects saved in BCC8.2 or 8.3 may appear to render somewhat differently now that the dissolve rate has been fixed.
- BCC9 fixes a gamma shift in some externally loaded images on Mac systems (such as those loaded by Pan and Zoom, or the particle files in Particle Emitter 3D, Organics Strands, or Particle Array) which caused the images to appear slightly too dark as compared to the original external image. These images now render correctly but Mac projects saved with these filters prior to BCC9 may display slight brightness boosts in such images.
BCC FxPlug 9.0.2 - Known Issues and Limitations:
- 28732 - BCC Extruded Text and BCC Type On Text use a custom text entry window and some of the changes that can be made through in this window are not reflected in the preview within the text window on Mac OS (although they will be apparent in the effect when previewed/rendered back in the host). The following text attributes do not preview within the text window:
- Justification (when Word Wrap is not enabled)
- Top Down Text
- Right to Left Reading
- Negative Line Leading
- Italics (for fonts that don't include an italic typeface)
- Superscript and Subscript
- 26068 - In BCC Particle Emitter 3D, changing the Blend Mode in the Spawn group can unexpectedly affect the main particle compositing.
- 27591 - As part of the new Motion Tracker workflow, if you change the tracker search width, target width, color space, or accuracy after an initial tracking pass, you must now reset the tracker data either with the reset button (in Motion) or with by making a minor change to the Tracker Center position (in FCP X) to force a refresh of the tracking data before starting a second tracker pass. (This extra step is not necessary if the tracker point picker location has changed.)
- 25867 - In BCC Type On Text the Line Leading in the text entry preview window does not accurately match up with the leading in the rendered result, and the leading may need to be adjusted to generate the desired final render.
- 27313 - The Beat Reactor propagation options generate unexpected results in Organic Strands. Use non-propagation modes which work as expected as a temporary workaround.
- 26750 - The Beat Reactor audio graph becomes less accurate as the Frequency Resolution is increased to high values. Use lower values near the default setting of 32 as a workaround.
- 29533 - The apply modes Boost Expo 1, 2, and 50/50 mix do not give the expected result in Grunge.
- 29777 - In Grunge the Edge Offset control in the Chromatic Aberration group is not working as designed
- 30613 - Flicker Fixer - When using the Key/Mask controls the intensity of the flicker correction is only half as strong as it should be, even in regions that should be fully corrected.
- 30351 - Pan and Zoom - Preview Mode rectangle widgets don’t match the final result exactly when using 3D Mode with non-square PAR comps. Settings which tend to produce more exaggerated 3D perspective will increase the relative amount of difference between the preview widget and the final result.
- 30395 - Combining 3D Objects filters with other OpenGL accelerated BCC filters such as Lens Flare 3D or Grunge can occasionally cause render errors or instability due to lack of hardware resources depending on host resource use, graphics card capabilities, and BCC 4K preference settings.
- 28350 - Images brought in through well layers in BCC Generators are flipped horizontally and vertically in Motion 5 and corresponding FCP X Templates. A non-generator version of the effect may be used as a workaround for the time being.
- 30741 - Scrubbing numerical fields in the Extruded Text or Type on Text text entry window can cause unexpected behavior.
- 27683 - Extruded Spline shifts location when viewed at reduced resolution.
- 28336 - 3D Objects - Textures are not rendered correctly for media with FCP native effects on them.
- 30732 - Enabling the blur option in Vignette does not work in 4k projects.
- 30740 - Well layer media in FCP that is part of a 1280 x 720p project sometimes fails to update with the correct frame and instead always displays the final frame of the clip. We are working with Apple to resolve this issue.