BCC AE/Premiere Pro - 9.0.5 Release Notes
04 August 2015
Boris Continuum Complete AE 9.0.5 was released on 8/3/2015 and is an update to:
Windows 10 support:
- BCC9.0.5 AE is certified as fully supporting the Windows 10 operating system. Earlier versions of BCC 9 may likely work without problem in Windows 10, but BCC9.0.5 AE is the first version which is officially certified for Windows 10 support.
Feature Enhancements in BCC AE 9.0.5:
- Restored support for the standalone Beat Reactor filter in AE CC 2015 - requires the latest AE CC 2015 host update (V13.5.1).
Bug Fixes In BCC AE 9.0.5:
- Standalone and Integrated FX Browser stability issues with BCC Match Grain presets.
- Laser Beam - Artifacts/Noise when motion blur feature is enabled.
- Laser Beam - Low Level error message reported in Premiere.
- Grunge - error messages when motion blur feature in Shake group is enabled.
- Grunge - unexpected transparency when bump map feature is enabled.
- Grunge - unexpected transparency when blur feature is enabled.
- Grunge - combination of spot light and bump map can produce flat/posterized colors.
- Lightning - strike mode not functioning.
AE CC 2015 Compatibility Notes :
Adobe After Effects CC 2015 introduced major changes to its plugin infrastructure, which in turn required extensive revisions in BCC to ensure full compatibility. All versions of BCC starting with 9.0.4 and later are fully compliant with the requirements of AE CC 2015, with the minor exception of the known issues outlined below. (Note that versions of BCC prior to 9.0.4 are NOT compatible with AE CC 2015.)
- The obsolete BCC Degrain filter (which has been replaced by the more modern BCC Noise Reduction filter) will continue to render any projects in which the grain samples were previously locked. However Degrain will not support saving new grain samples going forward in CC 2015 and beyond. The Degrain filter is in the obsolete category and it is recommended that future projects use BCC Noise Reduction instead of Degrain.
- The BCC Motion Tracker will continue to render previously saved motion tracker analysis passes and it will continue to support loading externally generated tracker data files, but conducting new motion analysis passes is temporarily disabled in BCC 9.0.4 and 9.0.5 for AE CC 2015. A revised (and improved) version of the BCC Motion Tracker which is fully compliant with AE CC 2015 will be released in a future update.
- When enabling the stabilization feature in BCC Motion Key you may sometimes experience a longer than expected pause while motion analysis data is recomputed after events such as saving a project or cloning a layer or an effect instance. This occasional performance delay will be eliminated in BCC10.
What's New in BCC AE 9 (Recap of major changes since BCC 8):
- FX Browser™ - our best-in-class new graphical preset browser. Preview your preset library over moving host video, not just static frames, with two different workflows. The Integrated FX Browser™ is available inside every effect and allows intuitive preview of all presets for that effect. The Standalone FX Browser™ is applied as a separate standalone effect and allows browsing presets from EVERY effect in the full BCC library.
- 10 new effects and 25 new transitions for a total of 35 new filters:
||Fast Film Process
|Chroma Key Studio
||Pan & Zoom - now 3D
|Fast Film Glow
||Lens Distortion Wipe
||Lens Flare Dissolve
||Lens Flare Round
||Lens Flare Spiked
|Damaged TV Dissolve
||Vector Blur Dissolve
|Fast Film Glow Dissolve
|Film Glow Dissolve
||Water Waves Dissolve
- Native Premiere Transitions - true NLE-style versions of all BCC transitions are now available in Premiere CC
- Pan and Zoom enhancements:
- 3D moves
- Improved action/title safe guides
- Animation Tuning heads up display overlays in all transitions for intuitive tweaking of transition timing directly in your Composition/Preview pane.
- New HTML-based help system offering richer and more dynamic learning guides.
- Improved 4K rendering support in OpenGL accelerated filters.
- GPU acceleration of important filters such as Film Glow and Film Process.
- Simpler and cleaner UI for enabling/disabling the on-screen Heads Up Display widgets via the new H.U.D. button in the redesigned preset banner.
- Improved Motion Tracker External Data Import workflows (including Mocha data).
- 16 bit and float rendering support for effects in the 3D Objects category.
- Hardware antialiasing for enhanced edge quality in the 3D Objects category.
- Major performance improvements in some OpenGL filters such as Damanged TV, Scanlines, and Glint.
- New Gradient feature in many BCC Wipe transitions.
- Integrated Beat Reactor added to Stage Light.
- Composite On Source and Gamma Adjustment added to Stage Light.
- Improved default settings for Film Glow and Fast Film Glow.
- Built in Motion Blur added to Corner Pin.
- Tracker Time Offset added to Corner Pin.
- Colored Background option added to Swish Pan.
- Brightness Peak and Contrast Peak added to Lens Transition.
- New presets added across a wide range of effects.
- Numerous bug fixes.
Make sure to register your product in order to receive the latest technical and upgrade information.
Numerous resources are available for helping you get the most out of Boris Continuum Complete.
- Help documents for individual BCC effects are accessible directly from each plug-in’s UI. The entire BCC Help Documention library is also available on the BorisFX website, including access to a downloadable version for browsing offline BCC Help Documentation.
BorisTV video tutorials cover a huge range of topics from introductions to the Fundamentals, to deep training Webinar Replays, to in-depth looks at key effects and techniques.
BCC AE 9 supports the following host applications:
Mac OSX 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10:
- Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015
Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64, Windows 10 x64:
- Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015
BCC AE 9.x Compatibility Notes :
While in general your previously saved projects should render identically in the newer version, bug fixes and quality improvements can sometimes change the look of older projects. While every effort is made to ensure project compatibility, the following notable areas may see some change to the look of previously saved projects.
- In all wipe-style transitions which contain Border options, the opacity of the border elements fades automatically at the start/end of transitions (except in manual mode) to fix potential jumps in the renders at the start and end of the transitions even when border offsets were non-zero.
- The largely unnecessary Hold In / Hold Out parameters were removed from the Animation Tuning group in all transitions which could cause changes in the transition timing in the unlikely event these parameters had been changed from their defaults.
- As part of the major performance optimizations implemented in Damaged TV for BCC9, some details can such as the randomization patterns can render differently although the overall feel of the effect should remain the same.
- BCC9 fixes a bug introduced in BCC8.2 that affected the perceived rate of progress of the underlying dissolve in BCC Lens Transition. Projects saved in BCC8.2 or 8.3 may appear to render somewhat differently now that the dissolve rate has been fixed.
- BCC9 fixes a gamma shift in some externally loaded images on Mac systems (such as those loaded by Pan and Zoom, or the particle files in Particle Emitter 3D, Organics Strands, or Particle Array) which caused the images to appear slightly too dark as compared to the same image when imported on Windows. These images now render identically on Mac and Windows but Mac projects saved with these filters prior to BCC9 may display slight brightness boosts in such images.
BCC AE 9.0.5 - Known Issues and Limitations:
- 27855 - Rendering errors can occasionally occur when using Adobe Media Encoder to render filters that rely on OpenGL acceleration such as 3D Objects filters, or the new particle filters. Rendering directly from within the original host should alleviate these errors.
- 28732 - BCC Extruded Text and BCC Type On Text use a custom text entry window and some of the changes that can be made through in this window are not reflected in the preview within the text window on Mac OS (although they will be apparent in the effect when previewed/rendered back in the host). The following text attributes do not preview within the text window:
- Justification (when Word Wrap is not enabled)
- Top Down Text
- Right to Left Reading
- Negative Line Leading
- Italics (for fonts that don't include an italic typeface)
- Superscript and Subscript
- 23630 - In BCC Particle Emitter 3D the interaction layer does not work accurately with 3D Text layers in AE unless they are precomposed at comp dimensions.
- 26068 - In BCC Particle Emitter 3D, changing the Blend Mode in the Spawn group can unexpectedly affect the main particle compositing.
- 27591 - As part of the new Motion Tracker workflow, if you change the tracker search width, target width, color space, or accuracy after an initial tracking pass, you must now reset the tracker data with the reset button in the tracker banner before starting a second tracker pass. (This extra step is not necessary if the tracker point picker location has changed.)
- 25867 - In BCC Type On Text the Line Leading in the text entry preview window does not accurately match up with the leading in the rendered result, and the leading may need to be adjusted to generate the desired final render.
- 28724 - Importing Premiere Pro projects containing BCC effects directly into After Effects can lead to effects with some incorrectly transferred parameters which can lead to incorrect renders or other unexpected behavior. This project import workflow is currently not recommended for BCC filters. Please contact Boris technical support if represents an important desired workflow
- 27313 - The Beat Reactor propagation options generate unexpected results in Organic Strands. Use non-propagation modes which work as expected as a temporary workaround.
- 28590 - Optical Stabilizer does not currently analyze correctly when applied to precomps in AE. As a temporary workaround it should be applied directly to individual clip elements instead of to precomps.
- 26750 - The Beat Reactor audio graph becomes less accurate as the Frequency Resolution is increased to high values. Use lower values near the default setting of 32 as a workaround.
- 29533 - The apply modes Boost Expo 1, 2, and 50/50 mix do not give the expected result in Grunge.
- 29777 - In Grunge the Edge Offset control in the Chromatic Aberration group is not working as designed
- 30613 - Flicker Fixer - When using the Key/Mask controls the intensity of the flicker correction is only half as strong as it should be, even in regions that should be fully corrected.
- 30351 - Pan and Zoom - Preview Mode rectangle widgets don’t match the final result exactly when using 3D Mode with non-square PAR comps. Settings which tend to produce more exaggerated 3D perspective will increase the relative amount of difference between the preview widget and the final result.
- 30395 - Combining 3D Objects filters with other OpenGL accelerated BCC filters such as Lens Flare 3D or Grunge can occasionally cause render errors or instability due to lack of hardware resources depending on host resource use, graphics card capabilities, and BCC 4K preference settings.
- 30653 - Mac only - 3D Objects filters can show an unexpected brightness shift in 16bit when using the Trasforms->Opacity control to reduce the object opacity on Mac. Using host layer opacity controls instead of the the built in Opacity control provides a workaround in the meantime.
- 30949 - AE CC 2015 only - Some effects with custom UI in the parameter pane like 3 Way Color Grade can show artifacts or flickering in the custom UI region which scrubbing controls.
- 30965 - Morph- does not work on larger than HD media in 16 bit / 32 bit float projects. It can be used in those higher resolutions with 8 bit projects.
- 30844 - Lens Flare transitions - Lens flare position is wrong at full resolution 4K.
- 30959 - The integrated Beat Reactor params in some filters may default to incorrect values if a BCC preset is loaded prior to enabling the Beat Reactor.
- 30968 - Laser Beam and Stage Light - when using an AE 3D Layer as a target layer the rotation on the target layer is the opposite of what it should be.
- 30546 + 30571 + 30572 - Fast Film Process may render slower than expected on newer graphics drivers.
Known issues that are specific to Premiere Pro:
- 28423 - Stacking multiple 3D Objects filters on a single clip can lead to performance degradation or psuedo-hanging. It is recommended that for the time being 3D Objects filters be applied to separate tracks or separate clips in Premiere Pro.
- 28714 - The Beat Reactor does not properly recognize audio levels in AIF files exported from Premiere that use 32bit non-float formatting. As a temporary workaround use 8 bit, 16 bit, or 32bit float formatting for exporting AIF files from Premiere for use in the Beat Reactor.
- 30969 + 30970 - Premiere host bug - we are working with Adobe to resolve this issue. Some filters which store "extra" user information such as user entered text strings or external file links may sporadically "forget" the extra information when a project is saved which then requires resetting the extra information when reopening the project.